Solar Refrigerator/Freezer Specifications: Features:
- Available online in white only. For custom colors and custom designs please call 239-433-4447.
- Refrigerators run on one 55W panel
- Freezers run on two 55W panels
- Internal battery & charger
- Amp Meter
- Rugged Fiberglass exterior/interior
- Auxiliary 115V power plug in
- Illuminated on/off switch
- Digital thermostat
|Voltage: 10 – 31 VDC|
|Average Energy Use:||Capacity:|
|Refrigerator 207 Watts/day @ 12V – 90F 17 Amps/day @ 12V – 90F||3.5 cubic feet 22H x 21W x 36L 140 lbs.|
|Freezer 475 Watts/day @ 12V – 90F 40 Amps/day @ 12V – 90F||5.1 cubic feet 22H x 21W x 48L 160 lbs.|
Solar Refrigerators (One Solar Panel)
Solar Freezers / Refrigerators (Two Solar Panels)
How long has Frigid Rigid been around? Frigid Rigid was established in 1980 and has been in continuous operation since that time. Since its inception the company has produced very highly efficient fiberglass ice chests, coolers, freezers and refrigerators. These products were designed for outdoor markets and other harsh environments. The company has an outstanding reputation for very high quality, durable and efficient products. What is a photovoltaic solar panel? Conventional solar panels directly convert sunlight into energy using the principles of photovoltaic effect (Photo like light….Voltaic like electricity). The photovoltaic effect takes advantage of the properties of semiconductor materials, with silicon being the primary material used in photovoltaic solar cells. When photons (light) strike the solar cell, electrons in the semiconductor material are shaken loose, allowing them to flow as electricity. This electricity is direct current (DC) that can be used to charge a battery as is the case with the Frigid Rigid refrigerator/freezer. How does the Frigid Rigid Solar Refrigerator/Freezer work in the solar mode? Solar panel is hooked up to a controller that controls the amount of power that is sent to the battery. The controller monitors the charge of the battery and feeds the electricity to the battery until it is fully charged. The battery runs the 12 volt refrigeration components which cool the inside of the box to the desired temperature. What are the major components in the Frigid Rigid solar system?
- Solar Panel: The 55 watt solar panel collects the sunlight and converts the sunlight to 12 volt DC electrical power.
- Solar Panel Controller: This controller manages the amount of electricity coming from the solar panel so that the battery can be properly charged. It monitors the charge of the battery and when the battery is fully charged the controller will stop electrical current from the solar panel.
- Battery: Energy demand does not always coincide with energy production. The battery stores electrical energy when it is produced by the solar panel and supplies electricity to the compressor when it is needed. In other words, you charge the battery with the sun during the day and use the energy from the batteries during the night or overcast periods.
- Battery Charger: The refrigerator/freezer has a battery charger that can be used to charge the battery. The battery charger can also operate the unit when 120 Volt AC current is available.
- Compressor: This is the main pumping system that circulates the refrigerant throughout the system that cools the inside of the box.
- Condenser: Cools the refrigerant so it can re-enter the system to continue the cooling process. Our condensers are coated with an epoxy coating so they can operate in harsh environments such as salt air. A fan is attached to the condenser to assure proper air flow for the cooling cycle.
- Evaporator: This is the coil that the refrigerant travels through and actually cools the inside of the box. The Frigid Rigid evaporator system is patented. Because of our patented system the inner walls are smooth. This is possible because the evaporator coils are laminated into the wall. A continuous length of copper tubing is wrapped around the interior wall and bonded with a thermally conductive polymer. Heat is carried away through the wall resulting in an even temperature throughout.
- Thermostat: The thermostat is a wide ranging digital thermostat that can be programmed to operate in either the refrigeration or freezing mode.